[tlhIngan Hol] difference between -meH and -wI' in purpose-clause compound nouns

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Jun 1 09:41:06 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> I also think you wouldn't be particularly wrong if you said *chevmeH
>> tlhoy'* instead of *chevwI' tlhoy',* for example. It would be like the
>> difference between /border wall/ and /wall of the border:/ one is said and
>> the other isn't, but the other is still perfectly understandable.

I think it's literally the difference between "dividing wall" and "divider
wall". The first one defines the wall by its purpose. The second one says
what kind of wall it is. They both work to describe or name the same thing.

> But on the other hand, {pe'wI' taj} sounds strange, doesn't it?

Similarly, a "cutter knife" sounds less normal to me than a "cutting knife".

-- ghunchu'wI'