[tlhIngan Hol] What is a sentence?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Jun 10 13:47:55 PDT 2017

Am 10.06.2017 um 18:08 schrieb DloraH:
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 21:58 +0200, Lieven wrote:
>> Am 09.06.2017 um 21:03 schrieb SuStel:
>>> Oh sure. I'm not saying that an SAO isn't two sentences. It clearly is.
>>> I'm saying that it's a sentence composed of sentences. It's both one
>>> sentence and two.
>>
>> Since a verb using a sentence as object creates a new sentence, I think
>> it's very clear that such a SAO-sentence can be the SAO in another sentence.
>>
>> {targh HoH vav DaneH 'e' vIyaj net Sov.}
>> One knows that I understand you want your father to kill the targ.
>>
>> [[[[targh HoH vav] DaneH] 'e' vIyaj] net Sov.]
>> [[[[the father kills the targ] you want that] I understand that] one
>> knows it]
>>

> But now add an adverbial to each sentence.

That sounds like a true challenge. Theoretically, it should be nested
like macros do in software, but that would look very strange:

{reH targh HoH vav}
"father always kills targ"

DaH {reH targh HoH vav} 'e' vISov
Now I know that "father always kills targ"

I'm not sure that is based on anything canon.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh