[tlhIngan Hol] The Second Coming

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 8 12:53:30 PDT 2017

nIqolay Q :
< And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
< Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
< 'ej tagha' repDaj lop Ha'DIbaH naQbe'
< 'ej boghmeH betle'HemDaq yItlI'.

Voragh:
>> I’m not sure I understand {naQbe’} “un-full/un-whole” here.  Perhaps
>> {Doch} “be rude”, {Qut} “be vulgar”, {qej} “be grouchy/mean” or --
>> best of all --- {naH} "be hostile/malicious":

nIqolay Q :
> It took me a while to decide on the best way to translate "rough", since
> {ghegh} appears to be used only for texture. I went with "rough"
> in the sense of "basic, incomplete" (as in a "rough draft"), since the
> beast is not yet born.

I see.  Here's some more options to play with:

Duy'  	be defective (v)
Hutlh 	lack, be without (v)
pup 		be perfect, be exact (v)
pupHa'   	[be perfect, be inexact] (v)
chen  	build up, take form, take shape (v)
cher 		establish, set up (v)
Hach  	be developed (e.g. a civilization) (v)
lutlh  	be primitive (v)

Of these, {Duy'}, {pupHa'} and {chen/chenHa'} looks promising.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'