[tlhIngan Hol] difference between -meH and -wI' in purpose-clause compound nouns

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Jun 1 01:45:29 PDT 2017

Hi,

first of all, how would you linguistically call that what I am talking
about?

I have noticed that some words are translated like {pe'meH taj} "cutting
knife", while others use -wI': {toSwI' qal'aq} "jungle gym".

And then, sometimes I wondered, why -wI' and not -meH?

Of course, all phrases make sense in both ways, but is there a
difference? Why is it not {toSmeH qal'aq} "structure for climbing"? Why
say {chevwI' tlhoy'} and not {chevmeH tlhoy'} for "territiorial wall"?
"suntan lotion" is translated as {DIr QanwI' taS} - why not {DIr QanmeH
taS}?

What do you think about that?

Next, I think there is also a difference between combinations where the
meH-ed verb directly influences the noun (pe'meH taj means that the
knife is for cutting) while other situations are just real noun-noun
combinations (as in {nISwI' DaH} which is a "array of disruptors" and
not a "array to disrupt").

I'm just lacking the right terms to say what I think, so maybe you can
clarify.

BTW, I started a page in the Klingon language wiki with some examples.
The page still has a strange name though:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/CompoundNounsWithAVerb

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh