[tlhIngan Hol] What is a sentence?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Jun 10 17:44:39 PDT 2017

On 6/10/2017 8:41 PM, SuStel wrote:
> On 6/10/2017 7:51 PM, SuStel wrote:
>> Compound sentences are described thus in TKD: "Two sentences may be
>> joined together to form a longer compound sentence. Both sentences
>> must be able to stand alone as properly formed sentences." Now see
>> this from KGT: *juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob*/I ask you
>> to lead us as commander of this ship./ In order for this canonical
>> utterance to be legal according to TKD, *juDev* and *Dujvam ra'wI'
>> DagheS 'e' vItlhob* must both be "properly formed sentences."
>
> I'm going to take this one back. The formation is apparently *[juDev
> 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS] 'e' vItlhob,* which makes a compound
> sentence the first sentence of the SAO.

Oh, wait, here's a better one: *Hegh tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e'
wIHech.* This one is clearly *[Hegh tlhIngan Segh] 'ej [maHemtaH 'e'
wIHech]* and not *[Hegh tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH] 'e' wIHech.* Both
the first *[Hegh tlhIngan Segn] *and second *[maHemtaH 'e' wIHech]*
parts must be properly formed /sentences,/ so *maHemtaH 'e' wIHech* must
be a sentence.