[tlhIngan Hol] Don't they have jay' arrows ?

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 20 13:38:08 PDT 2017

ghItlhpu' mayqel, jatlh:

> I can't understand why there isn't a klingon word for "arrow".

The Australian indigenous people have been getting by perfectly well for 65,000 years without bow and arrow technology and they've largely done just fine. The bow and arrow is a relatively recent development that seems to have been invented just once, in Eurasia, and spread out to the rest of the world from there. Aside from which, a well-thrown spear from a woomera or atlatl can travel nearly as far as an arrow; the current world record for an atlatl-propelled spear is 258.6 metres, set by Dave Engvall in 1995.

Given how exhaustive KGT's discussion of weaponry is, I believe the only reason there isn't a Klingon word for "arrow" (or "bow", for that matter) is that they simply never developed bow and arrow technology, and that the {chetvI'} was the device they used instead.

QeS 'utlh