[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'aSya'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jul 13 13:36:27 PDT 2017

On 7/13/2017 4:12 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de
> <mailto:levinius at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM, mayqel qunenoS
>     <mihkoun at gmail.com <mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>
>
>         <mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com <mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>             So we can glue two nouns together ?
>

>     Am 13.07.2017 um 19:25 schrieb qurgh lungqIj:
>
>         The common practice is to keep nouns separate [...]
>

>     Am 13.07.2017 um 19:45 schrieb SuStel:
>     > No. Your question is exactly why we have to be careful when telling
>     > people that Okrand said it wasn't a big deal.
>
>     Indeed, all of the above is correct, and I won't contradict.
>
>     Just for the record, I want to add that this is something that we
>     have agreed on, just because it makes it easier for beginners (and
>     others) to read the words. This is one of the situations of TKD
>     that leaves different interpretations and has lead to long
>     discussions in the past: some say that TKD only explains compound
>     nouns, others see it as a guideline how to "make" compound words.
>     The three lines in TKD are really not much, and after all, it
>     really doesn't matter, so Okrand is right that we shouldn't bother
>     too much about that.
>

> I still think coining new compound words is acceptable, but I do
> understand the value of not confusing beginners, so I'll stay off the
> topic from now on.

I'll just point out a little tidbit. It doesn't prove anything one way
or the other.

When working on /Star Trek V,/ Okrand had written the line *vaj
toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'*/That means the Federation will be sending its
own rescue ship./ But during production Klaa says the line twice, and
the second time it's supposed to mean /Shooting space garbage is no test
of a warrior's mettle./ We get the text of this line later in /The
Klingon Way:/ *vaj toDuj Daj ngeHbej DI vI'* (literally, /cosmos rubble
marksmanship inconclusively tests warriorhood courage/). Here, Okrand
went out of his way to separate *DI* and *vI',* obviously to say /look
out! these aren't what you think they are./ But Klaa pronounces them
exactly the same as *DIvI'*/Federation./ And if he were really
interested in pushing together words, he's probably have gone with
*ngeHbejDI vI'* for /cosmos//-rubble marksmanship./ But he didn't. He
kept separate words as separate words.