[tlhIngan Hol] So sarcophagus you say ? hmm..

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 09:25:48 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:11 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> SKI: At a Star Trek Next Generation episode, two Klingons have died,
> and Picard asks the Klingon captain, what he is to do with the bodies.
> Then the Klingon captain replies: "They are empty vessels; treat them
> as such".
>
> As a result of this scene, I don't think that Klingons would utilize
> elaborate sarcophaghi, in order to dispose of corpses which -according
> to their beliefs- are nothing more than empty shells.

Maltz did say that Klingons didn't use sarcophagi anymore.

Also, I think it's important to remember that real cultures aren't totally
monolithic and homogeneous, even if that's how they like to present
themselves. In existing show canon, there are a number of variations on
Klingon funerary practices. There's the {Heghtay}, where you hold the eyes
open and scream. There's the {'aQvoH}, where you stand watch over the
corpse. A "Klingon mummification glyph" is referenced in Star Trek 4, so
clearly they did that at some point. And nobody held open Chancellor
Gorkon's eyes after his assassination. It's not a major contradiction, but
rather simply a sign that Klingons (much like, say, humans in Starfleet)
are more diverse than they seem (or want to seem) to outsiders. MO has
touched on this idea occasionally: acknowledging that an empire could have
room for another language like Klingonaase (see
http://klingonska.org/canon/1996-08-rt.txt), the opening to The Klingon Way
describing how seemingly-contradictory proverbs can still fit in the same
culture, and the whole section in KGT about the myth of Klingon conformity.