[tlhIngan Hol] My list of 19 new words revisited

Jesse Manoogian boyfromtheabyss at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 20:27:41 PDT 2017

Thanks for the welcome back!

Steven Boozer wrote:
>1. For glasses we already have a word from ?TalkNow! Klingon? (TNK): {mIn QanwI' nguv}
>?sunglasses? (i.e., ?dark eye protectors?) ? which implies {mIn QanwI'} for regular eyeglasses. If
>you really want to be specific, you could say {mIn QanwI? Dem} ?uncolored glasses? using the new
>verb {Dem} ?be clear, transparent, uncolored? from qepHom 2016.

OK, cool. I knew the word "mIn QanwI' nguv", but I didn't imagine it could be turned into a word for vision-correcting glasses.

>2. For tank top, don?t forget {yIvbeH}:
>
>(KGT 57f.):  the traditional warrior's tunic ({yIvbeH}) was made of a material (what it was is now
>unknown) resistant to puncture, just to add a little protection. Accompanying sleeves ({tlhaymey}),
>originally not parts of the tunic itself, were generally made of animal pelts ({veDDIrmey}) ? (In
>modern usage, the word {yIvbeH} in most places means any shirt, with or without sleeves.)
>(KGT 29f.):  In the Vospeg ({voSpegh}) region, on the other hand, {yIvbeH} refers only to a
>sleeveless shirt (thus retaining much of the word's original meaning, a sleeveless protective garment
>worn by warriors), {wep} means a shirt with sleeves, and any jacket or coat is a {cheSvel}, a word >that elsewhere refers to a specific style of coat associated with, not surprisingly, the Vospeg region.

Thanks for this information. I don't own a copy of _Klingon for the Galactic Traveler_. I didn't know what a yIvbeH *was* exactly.

>3. For teenagers and adolescents ? as you know from KGT we have:
>
>nen            growth, maturation (n)
>nen            be mature, be grown-up, be adult (v)
>nenchoH  mature, grow up (v)
>
>*{nenHa?} would be a good way to refer to someone immature, not grown-up; in other words, an
>adolescent or teenager.  That being said, Okrand - or is it Maltz? - usually refers to them as
>?younger Klingons?, ?younger people?, ?younger speakers?, ?the younger generation?, etc.  E.g.
>
>(KGT 138):  the characteristic patterns of younger people's speech, if noticed and commented upon,
>are more likely to be judged sloppy or careless rather than wrong.
>
>(KGT 141):  Despite this debatable advantage, and despite the slow but ongoing spread of the
>practice among younger speakers, most Klingons still consider the ambiguous use of {yI-} an error.
>
>So {tlhInganpu? Qan}, {nuv Qan}, {jatlhwI?pu? Qan}, {puq poH Qan}, etc.

Qan? The word for "to protect"?

I can't seem to find information on how to translate comparatives when there is no stanfard. There are "law'" and "puS" for constructions like "pal Qup law' pIyta Qup puS" for "Paul is younger than Peter", but how would one say "younger generation"?