[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'aSya'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jul 13 10:45:38 PDT 2017

On 7/13/2017 12:33 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> So we can glue two nouns together ?

No. Your question is exactly why we have to be careful when telling
people that Okrand said it wasn't a big deal.

When SPEAKING, there's no difference between *bIQ puH* and *bIQpuH.*
That doesn't make the latter a genuine, single word.

Spaces are a form of punctuation.
IcouldwriteeverythinginonelongstringoflettersanditwouldbeperfectlyvalidEnglish,
but we punctuate our words with spaces to make them readable. I'm pretty
sure you agree that
"IcouldwriteeverythinginonelongstringoflettersanditwouldbeperfectlyvalidEnglish"
is not a word; it's a bunch of words without spaces between them.

What we do with our Latin-letter-based transcription system for Klingon
is show the phonemes of Klingon, not the writing system. Any punctuation
we use is up to us and for our benefit. The transcription system
represents what Klingon SOUNDS like, not how its grammar works.

When Okrand says it's no big deal whether you transcribe things like
*wa'Hu'* instead of *wa' Hu',* he's saying that it SOUNDS the same
anyway, so no big deal, don't read too much into it. He's NOT saying
that you can glue two nouns together to coin a new word.

Let's take the phrase *baS 'In* /metal drum./ Let's suppose you've
learned it as a single word, *baS'In.* Now tell me the word for a drum
that you THINK is made of metal.

If you said *baS'InHey,* that means /thing you think is a metal drum,/
not something you know is a drum but which you only think is made of metal.

If you said *baSHey'In,* okay, that means what I asked, but now you can
put suffixes in the middle of nouns? Or are you really dealing with two
words after all, and just taking away the space punctuation? Exactly
what have you accomplished by "gluing" those nouns together, then taking
them apart again long enough to shove a suffix in there? How is it any
different than just saying *baSHey 'In?* And if it's no different, why
not do us a favor and punctuate your sentences helpfully?

Related question: If you're squishing words together (and not using
slang), is a *DeSHom* an arm-bone or a minor arm?