[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pay'an

DloraH seruq at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 10 16:40:00 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-07-10 at 16:47 +0200, De'vID wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2017 4:24 pm, "Steven Boozer" <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, July 09, 2017
> > >
> > > Klingon word: pay'an
> > > Part of speech: noun
> > > Definition: particle
> > > Source: qep'a' 23
>
> De'vID:
> > This looks like it's an obvious pun, but "pion" seems overly specific.
>
> Others have suggested "peon" (a laborer who is obliged to do menial work)
> and the related "pawn", but I think "pion" is more likely.  Perhaps Okrand
> liked the sound of the (somewhat related) word.
>

> I just got it.
>
> It's the letter "p" plus "an", which is an article in English: p-article.

In particle physics, a pion is any of three subatomic particles: 0 + -.
Each pion consists of a quark and an antiquark.
They are unstable, with the charged pions (+, -) decaying with a mean
lifetime of 26 nanoseconds (2.6 x 10^-8 sec), and the neutral pion (0)
decaying with a much shorter lifetime of 8.4 x 10^-17 sec.
Charged pions most often decay into muons and muon neutrinos, while
neutral pions generally decay into gamma rays.

- DloraH