[tlhIngan Hol] The problem with pIqaD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 5 08:07:30 PDT 2017

André Müller <esperantist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Personally, I can't read much of the pIqaD (gotta learn it too), but
>> the letter match the common-style Klingon pIqaD. With some eyeball
>> matching and imagination I think you can figure out which letter is
>> which. I think the first line ends in -ta'. First word of the second
>> line is qul, etc.

De'vID:
> It says: {ghetwI' luwIvlu'ta'. qul yIchu'}

From the announcement at:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1006273/star-trek-discovery-reveals-klingon-characters-/

  If you don't have a universal translator handy, the first
  line says, "The actors have been chosen." The second line
  says, "Light the Fire." We'll let you discover what that
  really means.

No really new vocabulary but if Okrand wrote or vetted this (anyone know?) as he may well have done - 1. it's an official announcement; and 2. notice the absence of a redundant plural suffix implied with {luwIvlu'ta'} on {ghetwI'} - we now have another word for "actor/actress", derived from {ghet}:

(HQ 12.3:8):  {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely honorable manner" ... is different from {toj} "deceive" and {ghet} "pretend", neither of which has this kind of connection to honor ... {ghet} and {ghetwI'} "pretender" generally do not imply deception, but simply role-playing.

(De’vID, 11/10/2015):  At ... qepHom [2011], Okrand said a bunch of things about what verbs take what objects ... One of the words that [Okrand] used to illustrate this was {ghet}. You can say {vulqangan jIH 'e' vIghet".

in addition to {DawI'} derived from {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of" used on this list for years, which appeared in the "Message to Kronos":

  qatlh tlhIngan lut luja' tera'ngan DawI'pu'lI'?
  Why are your Earthling actors telling a Klingon story? ('u'-MTK)

As for the difference between the two...?

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'