[tlhIngan Hol] So sarcophagus you say ? hmm..

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 12:26:53 PDT 2017

felix malmenbeck,

bIjangtaHvIS, tlhIngan Hol Dalo'mo' jIbel. 'a 'op Doch DIpojnISbogh tu'lu'.

vaj..

felix malmenbeck:
> tlhInganpu' Sar law' Humanpu' Sar law' 'e'
> vIHar.

Initially the law'/law' construction confused me, but finally I remembered
that instead of the classic law'/puS, there are alternate versions such as
the law'/law'. So, in this case the meaning obviously is "klingons are as
varied as the humans". The choice of the double {law'} instead of a double
{puS} obviously is made to express that both klingons and humans are
"varied to a great degree". Instead of "varied to a small degree", which
would be the case if we had a double {puS}.

felix malmenbeck:
> wa' nughHom'e' motlh vay', latlh nughHom'e'
> motlh latlh.

This messed me up real good until I finally managed to figure it out. It
must mean "as for one small society someone is usual, as for another small
society another is usual". Although I still can't understand why you used
{nughHom} instead of {nugh}.

felix malmenbeck:
> lommey meQmoH 'op. lommey meQmoH 'op.

"Some make corpses burn. Some make corpses burn". I don't understand why
you wrote {meQmoH} instead of just {meQ}. Also why repeat the same sentence
twice ?

felix malmenbeck:
> rIQwI'pu'vaD lom 'ay'Du'chaj nob HeghDI' 'e' 'Ip
> 'op 'ach nobQo' latlhpu' law'.

Isn't here the {law'} on the {latlhpu'} somewhat redundant ? Doesn't the
{-pu'} inherently mean "many" ? So, why say {latlhpu' law'} instead of just
{latlhpu'} ?

felix malmenbeck:
> taQ ghaH net ja'.

Is {ja'} a verb of speech ? If yes, don't the same rules apply for it, as
they apply for {jatlh} ? And if yes, then how is it possible to quote what
someone said, through the use of {net} ?

felix malmenbeck:
> *DaqS* qeng puqloD HeghmoHpu'DI' chISwI',
> lom meQmoHta' qeng. wa' jaj chISwI' HoH 'ej
> tIqDaj Sop 'e' 'Ip.

Although I have no idea who or what the {chISwI'} and the transliterated
{DaqS} is, I can understand the sentence; however I can't understand why
you chose {HeghmoH} over {HoH}. And I wonder too, with regards to the
choice of {meQmoHta'} over a simple {meQta'}.

qunnoq

On 31 Jul 2017 7:25 pm, "nIqolay Q" <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:11 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> SKI: At a Star Trek Next Generation episode, two Klingons have died,
> and Picard asks the Klingon captain, what he is to do with the bodies.
> Then the Klingon captain replies: "They are empty vessels; treat them
> as such".
>
> As a result of this scene, I don't think that Klingons would utilize
> elaborate sarcophaghi, in order to dispose of corpses which -according
> to their beliefs- are nothing more than empty shells.

Maltz did say that Klingons didn't use sarcophagi anymore.

Also, I think it's important to remember that real cultures aren't totally
monolithic and homogeneous, even if that's how they like to present
themselves. In existing show canon, there are a number of variations on
Klingon funerary practices. There's the {Heghtay}, where you hold the eyes
open and scream. There's the {'aQvoH}, where you stand watch over the
corpse. A "Klingon mummification glyph" is referenced in Star Trek 4, so
clearly they did that at some point. And nobody held open Chancellor
Gorkon's eyes after his assassination. It's not a major contradiction, but
rather simply a sign that Klingons (much like, say, humans in Starfleet)
are more diverse than they seem (or want to seem) to outsiders. MO has
touched on this idea occasionally: acknowledging that an empire could have
room for another language like Klingonaase (see http://klingonska.org/canon/
1996-08-rt.txt), the opening to The Klingon Way describing how
seemingly-contradictory proverbs can still fit in the same culture, and the
whole section in KGT about the myth of Klingon conformity.