[tlhIngan Hol] My list of 19 new words revisited

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jul 28 06:07:48 PDT 2017

On 7/28/2017 12:16 AM, Jesse Manoogian wrote:
> >I would figure that out, but I highly doubt that would be the real term.
> >Maybe *mIn laH tI'wI'* or something similar.
>
> "mIn laH" is a GREAT construction! I was puzzling over how to say
> sight/vision (all I could find was the verb "to sight" "puS" in this
> war-heavy-vocabulary language).> tank top: be'nalmoqwI' (a calque of
> the English wifebeater)

I meant *mIn laH* as in the physical capabilities of your eyes. I would
translate /ability to see/ as *leghlaHghach.*

> >> guitar: javHurDagh (six + stringed instrument)
> >
> >I wouldn't get it. If you don't want to approximate by just saying
> >*HurDagh,* be explicit and say *jav SIrgh ghajbogh HurDagh.* Or use a
> >foreign term and say /guitar./
>
> Or "ghI'tar".

Don't transliterate unless you make it very clear to your audience that
you /are/ transliterating. Otherwise you're going to send people running
to their dictionaries, trying to figure out what a *ghI'tar* is, or is
it maybe a combination of *ghI'* plus *tar*?

It's better to just use foreign terms as foreign terms, and not to try
to jam them into the native language. It gives them a certain /je ne
sais quoi./

> Could "nenbogh nuv" mean the noun "adult"?

Yes.