[tlhIngan Hol] same sex marriage

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Jul 17 00:40:18 PDT 2017

On 14 Jul 2017 10:12 am, "Lieven" wrote:
>     I'm not sure how you interpret her problem, I see that she sees a
>     problem with "heteronormativity" - which is absolutley not the core
>     of the message.

As I wrote before, I'm not even sure what the problem was in Rebecca's
first complaint. I wasn't sure what she wanted, it seemed to me she
didn't read the mesage entirely.

Am 15.07.2017 um 11:15 schrieb De'vID:
> The subject of this thread is a very emotional one for some people.

That's true. I had always thought that people who learn Klingon (most of
them) are Star Trek fans and are open minded for everything, but I have
been proven wrong with this multiple times lately. I even had somebody
in my FB-friends list who has invited to a Star Trek meeting talking
about the vulcan "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" and on
the same day posted an absolute xenophobic and racist message.

> I translated some phrases for Stonewall a few years ago, I thought about
> asking Marc Okrand but decided against it, because I didn't want to put
> him in the position of having to proclaim what Klingons thought about
> same-sex marriage.

He did answer in a very neutral point of view, not saying what Klingons
think about it, only how they would talk about it.

> values and vices, to be used as a mirror for reflection. Of course,
> since Klingons are popular with fans, that direction would've been
> controversial. But the other direction also has the potential to offend
> other people for various reasons.

That's true. Following this, as Klingons are very traditional and
oldfashioned sometimes, I'm sure the would reject equal gender marriage
or probably not even talk about it. But I don't want to open that can of
pandora here.

Peace.

--
Lieven L. Litaer