[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'aSya'

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 06:28:37 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> We don't have a word for continent although I once found *{Hatlh'a'} used
> on the KLI's web site.  naHQun also suggested *{bIQpuH'a'} - as well as
> *{bIQpuH} "island".

Interesting. I've been using {puH'a'} for "continent" in my personal
writings.

The way I see it:
- {Hatlh} is "countryside" (as opposed to "city"). I would probably
interpret {Halth'a'} as "frontier", ie, a countryside so vast, it's almost
unexplored.

- {yav} is "ground" (as opposed to "sky"). I don't know what I'd make of
{yav'a'}.

- {puH} is "land" (as opposed to "sea"). Looking at a map of Kronos, we'd
only see {wa' puH} and {wa' bIQ'a'}. Looking at a map of Earth, we'd see
many {puHmey} and several {bIQ'a'mey}. Some of the {puHmey} are more
prominent, so we call them {puH'a'}.

Of course, this is just my own interpretation based on the English glosses.
Klingons might not use those word that way. Heck, even other English
speakers might disagree with my interpretation of the glosses.

bI'reng