[tlhIngan Hol] The pronunciation of {Q}

Anthony Appleyard a.appleyard at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 13 14:30:45 PDT 2017

Another factor affecting the human brain's decoding of speech is this effect.
The engine noise of a big lorry / truck is often spelled "brrrm". If I say "brrrm", I say it with distinct "b" and "r" and "m" phonemes in it. But if you listen carefully to the loud diesel-powered noise made as a truck passes, you will notice no distinct phonemes in it, only a continuous noise somewhere between "b" and "r" and "m"; the brain registers all these phonemes at once; but, more accustomed to hearing phonemes in succession in speech, tends to remember it as the "b" and "r" and "m" sounds in succession.