[tlhIngan Hol] same sex marriage

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Jul 13 13:07:14 PDT 2017

Last month, the German government has decided to allow the same sex
marriage. This means that a man can marry a man, and a woman can marry a
woman. We have the Klingon verbs {Saw} for the man and {nay} for what
the wife does. I wanted to twitter about that in Klingon, and wondered
if {Sawchuq} would make sense. I contacted Marc Okrand, who talked to
Maltz about that, and instead of just saying "yes", Maltz provided some
more interesting details, including the verb {tlhogh}.

The entire message is archived here:
http://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz_170713.html

---begin---

Lieven –

I had a talk with Maltz about this, and he had more to say about it than
I would have guessed!

First of all, he said that {Sawchuq} and {naychuq} are perfectly good
words and would be understood to refer to same-sex marriage.

But he went on...

Though {Saw} and {nay} are defined in terms of male/female and when used
in this way everything is fine, the idea is not simply that when men get
married they do something that's somehow different from what women do
when they get married. The concept is more of a yin-yang thing. That is,
there are two people joining together in marriage who are not the same
as each other. They complement each other, complete each other – all
that kind of stuff people say at weddings. It all goes back to the
relationship Kahless and Lukara had. So one of the people getting
married brings one set of values, strengths, abilities, etc., to the
marriage, and the other brings another (complementary, overlapping,
enhancing) set. And vice versa. That's why, when they get married,
they're not said to do the same thing.

Now, you may say, if using two words for "marry" is because there are
two different but complementary partners, shouldn't the word for "marry"
when both people getting married are the same gender also be two
different words? If so, {Sawchuq} and {naychuq} don't accomplish that.

And, if you said all of that, you would be right. But the association of
{Saw} with "husband" and {nay} with "wife" has been around for so long,
the "complementariness" notion has been lost for many people. That's why
{Sawchuq} and {naychuq} are easily understandable when used for same-sex
marriage.

In addition, though, at least in some places, people are dealing with
gender in a way that goes beyond simple "male" and "female." So if one
of the people getting married doesn't identify as either "male" or
"female" – or if both don't - then what do you do? Theoretically, both
use {nay} or both use {Saw} or one uses {nay} and the other uses {Saw},
but how to choose and which is which? This is particularly tricky
because these two words are tangled up with "female" and "male," exactly
what those identifying as neither are wanting to not express.

Maltz says that, more and more, he's hearing an older word, {tlhogh}. (I
don't know how he's hearing this – my basement isn't really equipped for
extraterrestrial communication – but I certainly believe him.) The noun
{tlhogh} is quite common. It means "marriage," and it can be used for
anybody marrying anybody. The verb {tlhogh}, however, was long
considered quaint or archaic. But it's being used with increased
frequency. It means "marry" and, like its noun counterpart, it can be
used by both partners regardless of sex/gender, so it's used for
male-male marriages, female-female marriages, and everything else. Use
of this word lacks the yin-yang connotation of {Saw} and {nay}, but it's
well suited for expressing what the folks getting married are up to.
Depending on what you want to say, both {tlhogh} and {tlhoghchuq} are
heard: {B tlhogh A} "A marries B"; {tlhoghchuq A B je} "A and B marry
each other." But some Klingons also say {Sawchuq} and {naychuq}. The
choice seems to be whatever the folks getting married prefer.

I hope this helps.

See you soon.

  – Marc
----end of file----