[tlhIngan Hol] Imperatives and {-be'}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 06:11:19 PDT 2017

Quvar:
> I'm glad to see you back on the list

muQuchmoH mu'meylIj, jupwI' ! naDev vIcheghta'mo' jIbel je.

qunnoq

On 9 Jul 2017 10:40 pm, "Lieven" <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

Am 07.07.2017 um 09:26 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:

> I didn't paraphrase. I quoted the passage exactly as it is written.

Quoting can be difficult sometimes. If I proceed now I could say
"mayqel quoted the passage exactly as it is written"

I did indeed quote your message as it was written and only added your name,
so the meaning of the phrase is not wrong. Still, I have changed the quote.
If I would now say that you wrote the above phrase, then it really is NOT
correct, because you did not start it with "mayqel quoted ..." - did you?

See the difference? A proper way to quote is really just quoting what was
originally written, so in my own example, I should say that mayqel "quoted
the passage exactly as it is written".

But since at the boQwI' entry, no referrence was made to the fact that
> it was written by Qov, then how was I supposed to know its original
> source in order to quote it ?

That is true. First, the footnotes are really only for advanced speakers
who can handle them. Next, boQwI' is constantly growing, so this featue may
be added one day.

If I just wrote "I read somewhere..", then someone would ask "where
> did you read it ?".

That was not the problem, the problem was the way of quoting.

But keep going the way you are! Your kind of questions shows that you are
really going into the language. I'm glad to see you back on the list. :-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh