[tlhIngan Hol] The problem with pIqaD

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Jul 6 12:10:33 PDT 2017

Am 06.07.2017 um 03:53 schrieb nIqolay Q:
> I would interpret the difference in meaning to be that {ghet}
> is a much more specific word, implying that someone is intentionally
> playing a specific role or behaving as if some counterfactual situation
> were true. Whereas {Da} is much more broad, and while it can include
> some of the concepts of {ghet}

Yes; Remember the phrase {nepwI' Daba'} "he behaves like a liar" (TKDA).
This is certainly not intentional, and also not only pretending.

> Personally, I'm more curious about how {lIl} is different from {Da} and
> {ghet}.

The verb lIl was released for the action of a magician. You know,
magicians cannot do "real" magic, they do tricks. So they cannot say
that are magicicians (or "sorcerer", if you prefer), but they do what
magicians do.
When my 6 year old daughter moves like a magician she has seen before,
I'd use {Da}. When I see actors playing a magician like Harry Potter, I
suggest {ghet}, and a magician standing on stage does not only "pretend"
to be a magician, he "impersonates" him. Yes, he may also {Da} a
magician, but when on stage, it's his job to create the illusion of
being a true magician, he does the job of a magician.

BTW, did you know there is a big flight simulator in the French city of
Lille?

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh