[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' webpage

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jul 6 08:57:20 PDT 2017

On 7/6/2017 11:46 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> If instead of {SoHtaHbe'chugh} we wrote {SoHbe'taHchugh}, and if
> instead of {vIta'pu'be'} we wrote {vIta'be'pu'}..
>
> 1. Would you accept these choices as equally correct ?
> 2. Meaning-wise, would you find that they are any different ?

I would accept them as grammatically valid but not necessarily identical
in meaning.

The example with *ta'* is easier, because it's an actual verb.
*vIta'pu'be':* I didn't *ta'pu'. vIta'be'pu':* I did *ta'be'*. The
former describes a thing I might have done and says it didn't happen;
the latter describes a thing I DID do, which is the not-doing of
something. The distinction is subtle, and in most cases it wouldn't make
a difference which you used.

The one with *SoH* is messier because pronouns only act like verbs when
they interact with other words, and because it seems like *-taH* may be
required when the pronoun is combined with a locative, but that isn't
clear... If someone were to choose the other form than I did, I wouldn't
have a problem, and I wouldn't even be sure there is a significant
difference.