[tlhIngan Hol] The meaning of {ngoy'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jul 6 06:31:11 PDT 2017

On 7/6/2017 9:20 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> There is the canon example which says that "the family of a klingon
> warrior is responsible..".
>
> However I was wondering whether it could have the additional positive
> meaning of {reH vum yaSvetlh. ngoy'qu'} for "That officer is always
> working. He is very responsible".
>
> Or maybe even the additional negative meaning of {reH Qong yaSvetlh.
> ngoy'Ha'} for "That officer is always sleeping. He is irresponsible".

You're asking about the different senses of the English word
/responsible./ The canonical example means /accountable;/ another sense
means /dependable./ The question is, does *ngoy'* mean both of those?

The answer is, we don't know. We only know of the /accountable/ meaning
for sure. There has been no example of the /dependable/ meaning, and no
further explanation of the Klingon word.