[tlhIngan Hol] The problem with pIqaD

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 18:53:46 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> No really new vocabulary but if Okrand wrote or vetted this (anyone know?)
> as he may well have done - 1. it's an official announcement; and 2. notice
> the absence of a redundant plural suffix implied with {luwIvlu'ta'} on
> {ghetwI'} - we now have another word for "actor/actress", derived from
> {ghet}:
>
> (HQ 12.3:8):  {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely
> honorable manner" ... is different from {toj} "deceive" and {ghet}
> "pretend", neither of which has this kind of connection to honor ... {ghet}
> and {ghetwI'} "pretender" generally do not imply deception, but simply
> role-playing.
>
> (De’vID, 11/10/2015):  At ... qepHom [2011], Okrand said a bunch of things
> about what verbs take what objects ... One of the words that [Okrand] used
> to illustrate this was {ghet}. You can say {vulqangan jIH 'e' vIghet".
>
> in addition to {DawI'} derived from {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of"
> used on this list for years, which appeared in the "Message to Kronos":
>
>   qatlh tlhIngan lut luja' tera'ngan DawI'pu'lI'?
>   Why are your Earthling actors telling a Klingon story? ('u'-MTK)
>
> As for the difference between the two...?

If I had to guess, based mostly on the English glosses and the few bits of
canon, I would interpret the difference in meaning to be that {ghet} is a
much more specific word, implying that someone is intentionally playing a
specific role or behaving as if some counterfactual situation were true.
Whereas {Da} is much more broad, and while it can include some of the
concepts of {ghet}, it can also be used metaphorically, generically, or
specifically, with or without intent, and with or without knowledge that
one is acting in such a manner. However, I am obviously not Maltz.

Personally, I'm more curious about how {lIl} is different from {Da} and
{ghet}.