[tlhIngan Hol] A {tu'lu'} out of nowhere

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 03:01:40 PDT 2017

On 5 July 2017 at 11:52, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I haven't written klingon for a few months, and I have become
> quite rusty, I started studying some canon sentences.
>
> So I came across this sentence:
>
> {cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'}
> 2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck KBoP.
>
> I can't understand the placement of the first {tu'lu'}. If I was asked
> to translate the first sentence without knowing the translation given,
> I would write:
>
> {cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu'}
> two full decks there are

"There are two full decks..."

> {'ej tep choQ bIngDaq}
> and at the area below the cargo deck
>
> {lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'}
> a half utility deck there is

"... and under the cargo deck, there is a half utility deck."

> Perhaps, alternatively we could have the {bIngDaq} referring to both
> the two full decks AND at the cargo deck:
>
> {cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq}
> at the area below two full decks and the cargo deck.

No, that doesn't work, because {'ej} has to join two sentences.
Furthermore, what is {bIngDaq} doing there?

> But this would make sense if we didn't have the {tu'lu'}, let alone
> that even without the {tu'lu'} instead of the {'ej} we would need to
> have {je}:
>
> {cha' choQmey naQ tep choQ je bIngDaq}
> at the area below two full decks and the cargo deck.

That doesn't work either, because only the half utility deck is under
the cargo deck. Again, what is the grammatical role of {bIngDaq} here?

> The only way I can make sense of the klingon sentence is as it is
> describing the bop, and saying "there are two full decks (and then)
> under the cargo deck (there is) a half utility deck.

And just what is wrong with this?

--
De'vID