[tlhIngan Hol] Quick learner problem

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Jan 5 00:05:57 PST 2017

jIghItlh jIH:
>> Language is not a code, don't just talk
>> Klingon, you must think like a klingon.

jang loghaD:

> I agree with this, and I also don't.
 > You don't need to adopt the mindset of a Klingon, [...]

You got the point exactly what I wanted to say. :-)

jangtaH:
 > So perhaps, when somebody asks "How do you say X?", we
 > need to be a little bit less eager to say "You shouldn't
 > say X.", and a bit more willing to say "Well, we don't know ... yet."

That's true indeed. We are, all of us - including me - too quick on
saying "Klingons don't say that". Instead, we should at least give an
alternative answer.

Whenever I meet someone who has no idea of Klingon and they ask
something like "How do you say good morning" or "Nice weather today" I
used to answer Klingons don't say that, but the listeners were not
satisfied with that. Instead, I make up something strange (but
grammaticvally correct), so at least they do get an answer and walk away
happily. (they'll forget anyway)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh