[tlhIngan Hol] Quvar, QISmaS cake Davutta''a'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 11:35:08 PST 2017

On 2 January 2017 at 17:28, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> true, however the tkd isn't a poem and it doesn't use punctuation either

ghojmoHmeH paq 'oH TKD'e'. mu'tlheghmey nap ngaS.

The sentences in TKD are mostly short, and the even slightly longer
sentences are annotated like this:
<{SutlhtaHvIS chaH DIHIvpu'} or {DIHIvpu' SutlhtaHvIS chaH}
While they were negotiating we attacked them. ({SutlhtaHvIS} while
they are negotiating, {chaH} they, {DIHIvpu'} we attacked them>

Are you going to annotate your sentences like so?

The two later books, where Klingon sentences are written out to be
read by readers assumed to be familiar with the grammar without need
of dissection, present Klingon sentences with punctuation like so:

"Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us,
shall we not seek revenge?"
{cheqotlhchugh maHaghbe''a'? cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'? cheQIHchugh manoDbe''a'?}

Other canon sources, such as the SkyBox cards and the little phrase
booklet that came with Power Klingon, all use punctuation. (In the
case of the SkyBox cards, the punctuation is even in the {pIqaD}.)

And that's how Latinised Klingon is written by most people in the
Klingon community, outside of contexts where sentences are dissected
for grammatical analysis or poetry.

Saying that you're not going to use punctuation because a grammar book
and a poem don't do so, while most of the canon sentences meant for
regular reading do, is silly.

--
De'vID