[tlhIngan Hol] General Advice

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 23:46:13 PST 2017

On 6 January 2017 at 03:52, Juliana Bukoski <jfbukoski at gmail.com> wrote:
> What with it being the new year, I am rededicating myself to studying
> Klingon, and I thought it might be a good idea to ask for advice from the
> experts. Last semester I was mostly just memorizing vocab and writing
> sentences (until complex analysis got hard and Klingon fell by the wayside).

Do'Ha', we don't have the Klingon vocabulary to talk about advanced
math. But a good way to learn (YMMV) is to write about a topic that
interests you, or which you're studying, in Klingon. Many years ago, I
used to keep a journal in Klingon while I was studying physics. We had
a lot less physics vocabulary than we do now, although it was
surprisingly not that difficult to write about relativity. (We have
terminology for black holes, photons, gravity, and escape velocity,
and one can make do with the terminology of warp fields when writing
about the warping of spacetime.)

> Anyway, my plan is to go back to vocab and sentences, keep listening to the
> audio books (the Klingon Way and the one for tourists), and maybe read the
> Klingon Christmas Carol and Hamlet, which I just got for Christmas. Is there
> any other good way to study that I am missing?

Yes: conversation. Many people who are trying to learn a language make
the mistake of studying by "input only" (reading and listening), when
true skill in a language is better measured by "output" (i.e., your
ability to compose, either in writing or in speech, sentences that
other speakers understand).

> In particular, is there anywhere I can search for answers to grammar
> questions that may have been previously discussed on this email list or some
> other list? I don't really like asking questions here because I feel like
> you've probably answered them a million times already.

We don't mind answering the same questions. If anything, beginners on
this mailing list may be scared away by the fact that whenever someone
asks a question, five or six people will provide answers, some in too
much detail. Ask away.

--
De'vID