[tlhIngan Hol] bahuvrihi (was Re: Interesting time stamp; etc)

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Jan 5 02:07:24 PST 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:01 AM, Anthony Appleyard <
a.appleyard at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Does Klingon language allow bahuvrihi compounds?

I don't see why that sort of metaphor would be forbidden in general. The
Klingon Christmas Carol play opens with a passage including the phrase
"dead as a {HIp Doq}", (it's translated as "red shirt"), which is exactly
the kind of usage you're talking about.

But I also don't see how {paq'batlh} fits the idea. The in-universe
explanation of the anomalous apostrophe is that it's a remnant of the older
pronunciation/spelling seen in the first part of the book. Decoding that
"ancient" text gives a lot of insight into the "ancient" word order and
affixes.

-- ghunchu'wI'