[tlhIngan Hol] 'InHom ('ay' wa')

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 10 10:03:28 PST 2017

On 1/9/2017 6:24 PM, Michael Roney, Jr. wrote:
>> puq vIQorgh.
>> SoS jIDa.>
>>
>> vIDa
>
> Okay, explain.  I thought I wrote "I'll behave as a mother"
> Are you saying that {vI-} is the correct way to say that?
> Or are you saying that {vI-} will actually turn that into "I'll
> behave as a mother to/for her"? I'm just not sure what the object
> is here.

Sustel explains:
> The object of Da is the thing that the subject is behaving as.
> If the wizard is behaving as a mother, then SoS Da 'IDnar pIn'a'.
> If I behave as a mother, then SoS vIDa jIH, or just SoS vIDa.

Look at some examples of {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of":

  nepwI' Daba'
  He is obviously lying. TKD

  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh
   janluq pIqarD HoD.
  Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-
   Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

  SuvwI' DameH puqloDwI' vIghojHa'moH DaH 'e' vItlhoj
  I see now, I have failed to raise my son a man PB

Prefix {Da-} "you [do something to] him/her/it/them"

  jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta' vaj choDanIS
  I have kept my word of honor, and so should you PB

Prefix {cho-} "you [do something to] me"

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'