[tlhIngan Hol] General Advice

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Fri Jan 6 07:35:13 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 06.01.2017 um 08:46 schrieb De'vID:
>
>> Yes: conversation. Many people who are trying to learn a language make
>> the mistake of studying by "input only" (reading and listening), when
>> true skill in a language is better measured by "output" (i.e., your
>> ability to compose, either in writing or in speech, sentences that
>> other speakers understand).
>>

> And if you are lacking people to talk with, just talk to yourself. Maybe
> not everywhere *haha* but for instance, when you are alone or driving in
> the car, try to describe what you are doing: "I now open the door" - "I am
> feeding the cat" - "I must pay the bill I just received" - "This piece of
> bread is too big too eat" and so on.

I talk to my cats in Klingon all the time. They don't seem to care much.
I've also been doing these youtube lessons in the car on the way to and
from work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmWF1jVYUug

There's some issues with how the guy pronounces {ng} when there's a prefix
(I've told him that he tends to split the sound into n-g), and it will
probably cover stuff you already know, but as practice for speaking and
translating on the fly it's pretty good.

qurgh