[tlhIngan Hol] -lu'wI' (was: Rendered fat)

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 00:38:24 PST 2017

jIghItlhpu' jIH, jIjatlhpu':

> Also, I think you're a little confused on the Celtic "indefinite subject", which

> doesn't relate to the Klingon construction at all.

mujangpu' Anthony, jatlh:

> Sorry; by the impersonal / indefinite "r" I did not mean the Welsh for "the"

> (y, yr, 'r)

Ah, my mistake. DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

Still, the Irish impersonal construction doesn't help matters because it's not a passive either. In the impersonal in Irish, we still see that the object is not promoted to subject position. In the impersonal /cailleadh iad/ "someone lost them; they died", for instance, it's the disjunctive, object form of the pronoun that's used - /iad/ - rather than the conjunctive, subject form /siad/ that would be expected if this were a genuine passive construction. It's a change in morphosyntactic orientation that makes a distinction one of voice, not simply one of morphology.

QeS 'utlh