[tlhIngan Hol] KLBC - How to say "I like to do/doing something"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 14 07:41:18 PST 2017

On 2/14/2017 10:29 AM, Ed Bailey wrote:
> There actually is one canon word that seems to be an unsuffixed verb
> with *-ghach*: *lo'laHghach*. Unless you consider it a nominalization
> of *lo'*.

It's a nominalization of *lo' + -laH.* The example in TKD starts with
*lo'* /use/ and builds it up from there.

> I seem to recall Okrand saying a bare verb stem plus *-ghach* is
> something that might occur in jargon, so **jeDghach *could be
> scientific jargon for viscosity (or less likely, for density).

Okrand says
<http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1994-09-holqed-03-3-a.txt&q=ghach>:

    It's a highly marked form. It's a word you are forming for a
    specific occasion and a specific effect. If you were a poet or
    philosopher or hard scientist and had to describe something very
    specifically these kinds of words might be appropriate but it
    carries the feeling of very technical arcane vocabulary, not normal
    everyday stuff. So can you say it? Yes, but you are saying more,
    rather than less or neutral.

It's not that *-ghach* occurs on bare stems in scientific jargon; it's
that a scientist trying to explain something arcane that doesn't already
have a word might throw *-ghach* on a bare verb to make a point. You're
coining a word of the moment, not finding it in a textbook.

Basically, the effect of *-ghach* on a bare verb is the same as putting
scare-quotes around a word you just made up.