[tlhIngan Hol] Rendered fat

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Feb 18 07:13:43 PST 2017

On 2/18/2017 8:19 AM, David Holt wrote:
> On the other hand, I'm not sure it is so clear that {tlhagh} is the
> object of {'Im}.  KGT says, "the general word for "boil" is {pub}, but
> the verb used specifically to refer to the boiling of fat is {'Im}
> ["render"]."  However, I believe the only example we have of {pub}
> uses the thing being boiled as the subject ({pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq}
> from CK).  Does {'Im} work like {pub} and the thing that is rendering
> should be the subject?

No, it's not completely clear whether*'Im tlhagh* or *tlhagh 'Im*, or
both, are correct. (Even with an example of the subject of *pub* being
the thing boiled, it's not certain that you can't *pub* something.
Sometimes Klingon verbs go both ways. We actually have another example:
*tujpa' qul pub SuvwI' 'Iw* /a warrior's blood boils before the fire is
hot./) I don't think the contrast of *pub* and *'Im* in the text
necessarily implies similarity in their transitivities.

When we lack an example, we have to go by the English translation. *'Im*
is /render, boil fat./ Now, it could just be saying that *'Im* is the
type of boiling that happens to fat, but the English translation does
choose to use /fat/ as its object. This puts me in favor of *tlhagh
'Im.* But if I saw *'Im tlhagh,* I'd understand where you're coming
from. If I saw *'ImwI'* I'd be less comfortable, because I'd be
imagining the cook doing the rendering, rather than the fat being rendered.

Let me know when you figure out which way to interpret *tlhe'*...