[tlhIngan Hol] KLBC - How to say "I like to do/doing something"

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 07:02:42 PST 2017

On 15 February 2017 at 08:52, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 14.02.2017 um 22:02 schrieb Ed Bailey:
>> Hmm, that workaround doesn't seem to work to intensify *ghaytan*. *vut
>> ghaytanHa' 'e' muSqu'* seems to mean "It's unlikely he really hates to
>> cook," and not "It's really unlikely he hates to cook."
>
> It works not more or less than {nom yIghoSqu'}. Following your
> interpretation that should be "you must really go, and very fast" instead of
> "go really fast".

There's a difference, though. When you intensify "run", increasing the
speed is a natural interpretation. "Quickly, RUN!" conveys the sense
of "run, and do it very quickly!" Similarly, {pe'vIl qIpqu'} "He HITS
it forcefully" conveys the sense of "he hits it very forcefully".

Intensifying {muS} has nothing to do with its likelihood, but with
intensity of emotion. For example, {tlhoy muSqu'} "she HATES it too
much" conveys "she really hates it too much", but in {ghaytanHa'
muSqu'}, the intensification of {muS} doesn't carry its sense to the
{ghaytanHa'}. I can't think of any verb that naturally intensifies
likelihood, but maybe something like {SuDDI' SuvwI', ghaytan Qapqu'}.

--
De'vID