[tlhIngan Hol] KLBC - How to say "I like to do/doing something"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 13 13:30:17 PST 2017

The reason people suggest avoiding *-ghach* is to avoid the trap that
you just fell into: adding a suffix (usually *-taH*) just because you're
supposed to, but not really meaning that suffix.

*vuttaHghach* doesn't mean /cooking,/ it means /an ongoing act of
cooking,/ or /continuous cooking./ That's not what you mean when you
want to say /I like to cook./ What you'd want to say is **vutghach
vIparHa',* but you can't say that.

Make no mistake: adding *-ghach* to a bare verb is /wrong,/ even though
Okrand simply called it "marked." Okrand tells us in /HolQeD 3:3/
<http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1994-09-holqed-03-3-a.txt&q=marked>
that saying **belghach* is like saying /*pleasureness./ We all
understand it, but you don't say it. Klingons might not take it as badly
as we would take /*pleasureness,/ but it's still not right.

The idea behind *-ghach* is this. Imagine you've got a verb like *bel,*
and you've got a magic nominalizer button that, when pressed, turns the
verb *bel* into the noun *bel.* Imagine this button works on any verb,
but for the moment forget about verbs that don't have known noun
counterparts (like *tlhutlh*). Stick a suffix on the verb, and press the
button. When we put, say, *-taH* onto *bel* to get *beltaH* /be
continuously pleased/ and then press the button, nothing happens. The
presence of the suffix blocks our nominalization button. So Okrand comes
along and gives us a magic suffix, *-ghach,* which when stuck on the end
counteracts the presence of the blocking suffix and lets the nominalizer
button work again. We add the suffix and push the button and ZAP! we get
*beltaHghach*/ongoing pleasure./

The point of *-ghach* is to hide the verb's other suffixes from the
nominalization process, so you can turn the suffixed verb into a noun again.

Now, the funny thing is, this process works to counteract suffixes and
nominalize verbs that don't actually have noun counterparts! So while I
can't use *tlhutlh* to mean /a drink,/ I CAN say
*tlhutlhtaHghach*/ongoing drinking./

So people find themselves wanting to use *-ghach* on verbs that don't
have noun counterparts, but they're not actually interested in
counteracting suffixes; they just want a noun form of the verb. But, the
rules say, you can't really use *-ghach* without a suffix. So they go
and pick the one that least changes the meaning of the verb (usually
*-taH*) just so they can get access to *-ghach,* even though they're not
using it for its real purpose.

/*TL;DR: WHENEVER YOU FEEL AN URGE TO USE -ghach ON A BARE VERB, DON'T
USE -ghach AT ALL. */Find some other way to say what you want to say,
like sentences-as-objects.

And no, don't put prefixes on verbs with *-ghach.* We don't think you're
supposed to do that.