[tlhIngan Hol] KLBC - How to say "I like to do/doing something"

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Feb 9 10:25:14 PST 2017

Okay, since others have broken the KLBC-barrier already, and our current
BG may be at shore leave, I'll answer this:

Am 09.02.2017 um 13:31 schrieb Aurélie Demonchaux:
> We have some examples of <par> and <parHa'> being used with nouns or
> pronouns but I can't find any canon source where they apply to verbs.
>
> Do you use {'e'} or nothing in those cases?

I will not go into alternatives like {tIv} "enjoy", but simple answer
the question grammatically:

The verb {neH} is the only exception for omitting {'e'}. This means that
it is correct to say

{jIvut 'e' vIparHa'} "I like that I cook."

Yes, indeed you may think that this literally means "I do like the fact
that I am cooking at this moment", but there is no "special"
construction to express the common feeling of "I like surfing in
general". It's the English that's strange, not the Klingon.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh