[tlhIngan Hol] <<poSayDon>> continued

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Feb 1 04:33:14 PST 2017

On 1 February 2017 at 00:19, Brian Cote
<wearetheinformation00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While reconsidering this sentence:
>> {'ej not bIQ'a' qoDDaq lengchu'be}
>> /and he had never actually traveled around it/
>> I realized that the English translation is a little dubious.
>> The German uses "durchfahren" which means to "travel
>> through" in the sense of to "travel through (a tunnel)"
>> or "pass (beneath a bridge."

ja' De'vID:
> Consider {vegh} to translate the German "durchfahren".

No, not really.
First, "fahren" is not only what a car does, but also what a boat does.
Next, the verb {vegh} is defined as going through something like a
"hole" or a "gate", something that has some kind of surrounding, you go
through something.

Remember that for the translation of the museum, Okrand used the verb
{chIq} for crossing the ocean - but that's not what this is about here
either.

I understand the phrase as that he never sailed the ocean entirely, i.e.
he did not see everything of it. Maybe {lengchu'be'} is really enough.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh