[tlhIngan Hol] Discovery subtitles words

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 09:01:05 PST 2017

On 20 November 2017 at 12:24, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> In TKD, {DenIb} and {DenIbya'} are both glossed "Denebia." But that's an
> error. The planet name in English is Deneb, not Denebia. But this
> coming-and-going -ya' thing crept its way into the English side of the
> dictionary somehow. HIvqa' veqlargh! The Klingon, however, is correct: there
> are two versions of this name.

If I am not mistaken, Deneb is the star; the home planet of the
Denebians is specifically Deneb V.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Deneb_V

Though in Klingon, apparently the planet is simply {DenIb(ya')} without {vagh}:

Thus, "Denebian"---that is, an in-
habitant of one of the Deneb planets---is both {DenIb-
ngan} and {DenIbya'ngan}. The planet name itself is also
heard in two forms: {DenIb} (formed from the name
<Deneb>) and {DenIbya'} (formed by dropping the {ngan}
from {DenIbya'ngan}).
(KGT)

Cheers,
Philip