[tlhIngan Hol] nom {-qu'} combination

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Dec 14 08:17:22 PST 2017

On 12/14/2017 4:00 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> We have the {nom yIghoSqu'} "maximum speed", as an example of
> combining the {nom} and {-qu'} in order to produce the meaning of
> "maximum".
>
> However the {-qu'} is a rover. So, if on the verb we have more than
> one suffixes already, then where do we place it ?
>
> If we want to say "quickly they are able to corrupt him", then what
> would we need to write, in order to produce an effect similar to the
> {nom yIghoSqu'} ?
>
> {nom luqalqu'moHlaH}
> {nom luqalmoHqu'laH}
> {nom luqalmoHlaHqu'}
>
> Which one of the above should someone choose ?

Despite what it says in TKD, we have seen that the rovers that *-be'*
and *-qu'* can either intensify the immediately preceding element or
/everything/ before it. The latter is what's happening in *nom
yIghoSqu':* it's not /GO! (fast);/ it's /GO FAST!/ (the whole sentence
is intensified).

Now your example is not a good one. *nom* means /quickly/ all by itself.
What you're asking is how to say /they are able to corrupt him as fast
as possible./ The equivalent, based on what we know of rovers, would be
*nom luqalmoHlaHqu'.* But I caution against casually using intensifiers
like this. In a short, obvious phrase like *nom yIghoSqu',* it's not too
hard to figure out that the *-qu'* applies to everything. In a
complicated phrase like *nom luqalmoHlaHqu',* you have to first work out
whether the speaker intends to intensify everything or just the *-laH.*
I wouldn't use intensifiers this casually without making my context
perfectly clear.