[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIw

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sun Dec 3 01:46:43 PST 2017

Am 03.12.2017 um 04:22 schrieb De'vID:
> Isn't the negation on the wrong thing? {jItIwmo' jIvangbe'} reads like
> "my commitment to non-action is emotional".

You're right, it sounds strange. But with such a construction, the same
ambinguity can also happen in English:

"I did not kill him because I was hungry"

a) being hungry was the reason for not killing him.
b) I killed him, not because I was hungry, but because I was thirsty.

In English, intonation would mark the difference.

> I'd expect something like {jIvangtaHvIS jItIwbe'} or {jItIwbe'mo'
> jIvangtaH net SIghbe'}, where the {-be'} is attached to {tIw}.

When thinking more about it, I would have said something like {ta'meywIj
SIghbe' tIwtaHghachwIj} or {jIvangmeH jItIwbe'}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"