[tlhIngan Hol] Interrogation words and type 5 noun suffixes

Aurélie Demonchaux demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 09:59:40 PST 2017

Hello all!

Today I was wondering if you could combine interrogation words such as nuq
and 'Iv with type 5 noun suffixes, in particular -vaD and -mo'

The TKD says;

>  For {'Iv} <who?> and {nuq} <what?> the question word fits into the
> sentence in the position that would be occupied by the answer.

So, if the thing we want to ask is {what for; because of what; to whom;
because of whom}, could we simply use {nuqvaD; nuqmo'; 'IvvaD; 'Ivmo'}?

For example:
nuqvaD lI' De'vam? = what is this information useful for?
'IvvaD taj nobpu' qama' ?= to whom did the prisoner give the knife?
nuqmo' jachtaH ghaH? = because of what is he shouting?
'Ivmo' tIwtaH ghaH? = because of whom is he acting emotionally?

I know some of the above could be rephrased easily in a "safer" grammatical
way but I'm really interested in whether these alternative constructs would
be grammatical and acceptable.

Thanks in advance!

ghItlhjaj