[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIS

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 08:34:21 PST 2017

>  (Lieven, 11/07/2017) :  I need to look back where you mean this,
> but {rIS} somehow means making a crackling sound, so it can
> surely be used for any kind of humming or crackling device, and
>  also anything that is emitting something besides of sound or
> radiation. To detect a warp signature, you actually detect that the
> warpdrive is {rIS}ing.

These are:

a. an explanation written by lieven
b. an explanation written by 'oqranD and then forwarded by lieven
c. an explanation spoken by 'oqranD and then written by lieven

Which option is correct ?

~ nI'ghma

On Dec 29, 2017 5:39 PM, "Steven Boozer" <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

Klingon word: rIS
Part of speech: verb
Definition: make a cracking or snapping sound, emit a signal
Source: qepHom 2017

Lieven (LLL) interviews Okrand (MO) [qepHom 2017 p.13]:

   MO:  For signal I suggest the verb {rIS}. This means "make a
       cracking or snapping sound" but can also be used to mean
       "emit a signal".  Maybe Klingons used to use Geiger
       counters a lot.
   LLL:         How is this different to {tlhuD} "emit radiation"?
   MO:  {rIS} originally referred to emitting sound only.  Later
       the meaning was extended to mean emitting any sort of
       signal - sound, radiation, smell, etc.   {tlhuD} refers to
       radiation only.
   LLL:         So a {rISwI'} would be some sending device, right?
   MO:  It could mean this, yes.
   LLL: How would I say that I receive or detect a signal?
       What about {rISHa'}? Is it the opposite of "sending"?
   MO:  {rISHa'} would refer to sending a signal improperly, like
       maybe to the wrong person. It wouldn't mean receive or
       detect a signal.

  yuQDaq Dat rISbogh wabvam Qoylu'.
  The signature sound of the planet, heard everywhere on the surface.
     (DSC "Si Vis Pacem..." [Lieven's subtitles])

  HoD, paw vay'.  rIS 'op pIvghor 'e' vItu'.
  Captain, incoming! Warp signatures detected!
     (DSC "Battle At the Binary Stars" [Lieven's subtitles])

 (Lieven, 11/07/2017) :  I need to look back where you mean this, but {rIS}
somehow means making a crackling sound, so it can surely be used for any
kind of humming or crackling device, and also anything that is emitting
something besides of sound or radiation. To detect a warp signature, you
actually detect that the warpdrive is {rIS}ing.

SEE ALSO:
*rISwI'                 transponder (n) (DSC "Lethe" [subtitles]);
                sonar (n) (DSC "Si Vis Pacem..." [subtitles])

jabbI'ID        data transmission (n)
maQ             signal,  sign (n)
QIn             message (n)
rI'Se'          hailing frequency (n)
Se'             frequency (n)
Sotlaw'                 distress call (n)

Qum             communicate (v)
lab             transmit data (away from a place) (v)
lI'             transmit data (to a place) (v)
rIt             summon (v)
rI'             hail (v)
tlhuD           emit [energy, radiation, etc.] (v)

PUN:  "making a snapping, crackling, or popping sound" -- Rice Crispies,
i.e. "snap, crackle, pop"!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons