[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QIp

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 12 06:57:45 PST 2017

Voragh wrote:
> "The ignorant can be educated, but stupid is forever." (Aristophanes)

I have to retract this quotation showing the difference between ignorance and stupidity.  I tried to identify which of Aristophanes' plays was the source for this - I don't remember where I read it - but discovered that apparently none of them are.  The full quotation is supposedly:

   Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated,
   drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Aristophanes however reveals:

    Fictional attribution in the movie "The Emperor's Club" (2002),
    given by Kevin Kline (as William Hundert);  also attributed to
    Diogenes, without sources;  no published occurrences of this
    statement prior to the movie have been located in any of the
    Aristophanes Plays or Fragments.

There is an American saying which is a favorite of Judge Judith Sheindlin ("Judge Judy"):

   Beauty fades; dumb is forever.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons