[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIw

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 20:06:00 PST 2017

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 10:22 PM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't the negation on the wrong thing? {jItIwmo' jIvangbe'} reads like "my
> commitment to non-action is emotional".
>
> I'd expect something like {jIvangtaHvIS jItIwbe'} or {jItIwbe'mo'
> jIvangtaH net SIghbe'}, where the {-be'} is attached to {tIw}.

It seems neither {tIw} nor {vang} should be negated in this case. What
needs negating is the causation expressed by {-mo'}, but known grammar
rules preclude a rover after a VS9 so it can't be negated that way, nor is
there any known adverbial that can do it. The same could happen with {-meH}
when purpose is what needs to be negated. Maybe something like:
{muvangmoHbe' tIwmeH laHwIj} "My capacity for reacting emotionally does not
me to act."

~mIp'av