[tlhIngan Hol] Interrogation words and type 5 noun suffixes

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 14:18:46 PST 2017

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Aurélie Demonchaux <
demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Today I was wondering if you could combine interrogation words such as nuq
> and 'Iv with type 5 noun suffixes, in particular -vaD and -mo'
>
> The TKD says;
>
>>  For {'Iv} <who?> and {nuq} <what?> the question word fits into the
>> sentence in the position that would be occupied by the answer.
>

> So, if the thing we want to ask is {what for; because of what; to whom;
> because of whom}, could we simply use {nuqvaD; nuqmo'; 'IvvaD; 'Ivmo'}?
>
> For example:
> nuqvaD lI' De'vam? = what is this information useful for?
> 'IvvaD taj nobpu' qama' ?= to whom did the prisoner give the knife?
> nuqmo' jachtaH ghaH? = because of what is he shouting?
> 'Ivmo' tIwtaH ghaH? = because of whom is he acting emotionally?
>
> I know some of the above could be rephrased easily in a "safer"
> grammatical way but I'm really interested in whether these alternative
> constructs would be grammatical and acceptable.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I don't believe there are examples of {'Iv} or {nuq} being used with {-vaD}
and {-mo'}. {​nuqDaq​} already provides a precedent for type 5 suffixes on
question pronouns, though, and there's no rule explicitly preventing using
other type 5s on {'Iv} and {nuq}. {nuqvaD} and {'Ivmo'} and so on all make
clear sense semantically. You're probably fine to use them.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 4:10 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aurelie, on August 7 2017, I had asked exactly the same.
>
> The title of that thread was "'Iv with type 5 noun suffixes".
>
> Unfortunately, because now I'm only able to use my phone, I can't find the
> link to that thread, so if someone could post it, in order to help Aurelie,
> it would be great.

Here we go:
http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/2017-August/004848.html
(That's a link to voragh's reply with some relevant canon examples, with
mayqel's original post quoted at the end.)