[tlhIngan Hol] qaStaHvIS in a sao

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Dec 1 07:14:34 PST 2017

The simplest solution is to simply put {qaStaHvIS DIS 'Iq} last; that leaves the least potential for ambiguity, and also doesn't tax one's attention span quite as much.

As a general principle, I'd say playing a subordinate clause before {'e'} strikes me as being grammatically correct; just a bit confusing.

It's worth noting that there is at least one canonical example where a subordinate clause appears to be separated from its main clause by a sentence being used as an object:

{bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS.}

"To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison." (TKW)

Part of me would like to see {bIQapqu'meH} moved to after {tar DaSop}, because otherwise it reads more as "You must enjoy (eating poison in order to succeed).", rather than "(You must enjoy eating poison) in order to succeed."

However, Klingon is intended to resemble a natural language, rather than a perfectly logical and unambiguous one spoken by robots, and in that regard this sentence structure makes sense to me: Klingons are accustomed to purpose clauses being placed at (or near) the start of an utterance, and the essence of the sentence is quite clear, so this is probably the most natural-sounding way to write it.

(For similar reasons, I often hesitate a bit when writing something like {vaj teH 'e' vIHar.}, because {vaj} is an adverbial and not a conjunction, and I want it to modify {vIHar}, not {teH}. However, placing it first seems more natural, and avoids the interpretation of "It is true, so I believe it.")

//loghaD