[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'amerI'qa' 'ev chan 'ev

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 25 08:49:40 PDT 2017

Klingon word: 'amerI'qa' 'ev chan 'ev
Part of speech: noun
Definition: North America
Source: qepHom 2016

'amerI'qa'  			America (TNK)

'amerI'qa' 'ev chan 'ev  		North America (qepHom 2016)
  - qana'Da'  			   Canada (TNK)
  - 'amerI'qa' SepjIjQa'  		   United States of America (TNK)

'amerI'qa' tIng chan tIng  	South America (qepHom 2016)
  -  'arHentinya'  		   Argentina (qepHom 2016)

Do we have any geographic names for the rest of America?

And while we're on the topic of country names, *{Qa'} seems to be a bound morpheme - meaning we haven't seen it used by itself - for a type of political union:

qarDaSQa' 			Cardassian Union (MKE)
tuqjIjQa' 			United Kingdom (TNK)
yuQjIjQa' 			United Federation of Planets (TKD)
'amerI'qa' SepjIjQa' 		United States of America (TNK)

SEE ALSO:
DIvI' 			federation, organization, association, league
boq 			alliance, block, coalition [i.e. temporary?]

--
Voragh