[tlhIngan Hol] potlh De'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 08:38:45 PDT 2017

On 17 August 2017 at 16:40, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> While look at some canon phrases, I stumbled over a phrase from ST5:
> {yo'SeH yaHnIvvo' potlh De' wIHevtaH.}
> "We are receiving a priority message from Operations Command."
>
> I would have said {De' potlh} "important data" here.

Obvious, this is military argot for some high-priority information in
a hierarchy where the lowest level is {tu'HomI'raH De'}.

> Is this an error, or is it just not much difference between "important data"
> and "data about something important"?

There's a subtle difference: {potlh De'} is about something important
(it's about a *thing*), whereas {De' potlh} is important but not
necessarily about *something*.

--
De'vID