[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing surprise

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 16 13:02:45 PDT 2017

lugh qunnoq jan puqloD.

  'o 'oghlu'meH qul
  "O for a Muse of fire … "
   (KCD, prologue to Henry V)

  'o meQ qul! 'o meQ chal!
   (KCD, opening of the opera qul tuq)

  'o qeylIS, qeylIS, qeylIS qanjIt puqloD
  O Kahless, Kahless, Kahless, son of Kanjit  (PB)

(ghunchu'wI', 8/21/2011 < qep’a’ 2011):   'o appears before a name used as direct address. As we saw it used, it acted a little like a vocative prefix: 'o qeylIS, qeylIS, qeylIS... It seems to be an honorific exclamation, or maybe it's just used for direct address in general and doesn't actually have the implication of deference or reverence that I inferred. If it hadn't been consistently present when the opera "speaks to" Kahless, and consistently absent when it "speaks to" Molor, I might have ignored it as an unimportant background sound.

(Qov, 8/21/2011 < qep’a’ 2011):  Marc was present while we discussed the vocative case in that context and he didn't seem to object at all to that characterization. I know he has a talent for making you think he's confirmed whatever you think, but I think it's just a name-invoking particle without particular commendation. The funniest part, to me, was the next day when we were singing Kumbaya and watching Qanqor suddenly realize that we have being saying <<'o qeylIS>> all along. Marc was also dismissive about 'o, like it wasn't really a new word, was just 'o.

--Voragh

From: mayqel qunenoS

Jeremy Silver:
> For a lesser surprise we have {'o}.

I don't think {'o} can be used in this way; the {'o} appears before a name used as direct address. I don't think it can be used to express surprise.

qunnoq jan puqloD