[tlhIngan Hol] Is Quv singular or plural ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 9 08:18:35 PDT 2017

Lieven wrote:
>> I also see this word as one which is basically singular, but only its English translation is in
>> plural, because "coordinates" consist of multiple numbers.

nIqolay provided the example (from ENT “Affliction” I was about to, so I’ll just contribute this from TOS "The Mark of Gideon":

SCOTT:     Prepare to beam aboard a representative of the Gideon council.
HODIN:    My assistant will provide you with the proper…  What is the word?
SPOCK:     “Coordinates.”
HODIN:   Thank you.

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org] On Behalf Of nIqolay Q

All nouns which have an inherent plural meaning are grammatically singular. "We know the coordinates" would be {Quv wISov}, not {Quv DISov}*.
boQwI' lists an example from an Enterprise episode: {jol Quv yIchegh} "Return to the transport site". Note that the prefix is {yI-}, not {tI-} -- "return to it", not "return to them".

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
I meant, is {Quv} inherently singular or plural ? The way that {pIgh} "ruins" is inherently singular ? (if I remember correctly).

On 9 Aug 2017 5:42 pm, "ghunchu'wI' 'utlh" <qunchuy at alcaco.net<mailto:qunchuy at alcaco.net>> wrote:
On Aug 9, 2017, at 10:35 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Is {Quv} "coordinates" singular or plural ?

As with most Klingon nouns, it can be either.

-- ghunchu'wI'